JOB BANK ENTRY
LIBRARY ASSISTANT III
LOCATION: CENTRAL/COMPUTER COMMONS-38 hours Bi-Weekly
This is a Temporary Position (Funded by JCLC)
06/08/2015 to 08/19/2015
Opens: 05/13/2015 Closes: 05/27/2015JOB SUMMARY
This is a position that requires knowledge of library practices and principles, attention to detail, sound judgment, strong communications skills and direct contact with the public. The Library Assistant III will perform various duties as assigned by the department head, branch manager, or designee. These duties will prioritize activities that enhance library services such as maintenance of the collection, programs, and circulation. The Library Assistant III must be comfortable with performing a variety of computer oriented and clerical assistance functions which require judgment based on knowledge of the procedures and policies pertaining to the area of assignment. Work involves some initiative and judgment on procedural questions that are encountered according to library board policies. May assist with supervision of a department. Works under the general guidance and direction of the department head, branch manager, or designee. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS
- Position reports to the department head, branch manager, or designee.
- Assists department head, branch manager or designee in directing the staff and operations of assigned library or department(s) to accomplish service objectives in accordance with established policy.
- Assists with supervision of a functional area of library operations such as the circulation desk at a library.
- Works with branches and municipal libraries throughout the Birmingham and Jefferson County systems updating library cards and applications, and addresses membership concerns according to board policies and procedures.
- Provides information to patrons in person and by phone about overdue materials and other matters related to patron records.
- Creates promotional materials and assists in the development and on-going tasks for programs.
- Inspects returned materials for damage, verifies due date, and computes and receives overdue fines
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service skills and ability to establish cordial and effective relationships with associates and patrons.
- Knowledge of and experience with computers and various computer software applications, peripherals, online databases, online searching, and the Internet.
- Knowledge of library procedures, business English, spelling and math.
- Ability and willingness to give attention to detail and to ask questions when unsure.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability and willingness to adhere to departmental rules, regulations, procedures and functions.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with procedures and regulations, and to apply these to work situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and patrons.
- Ability to learn current trends in library service.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with patron records.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist, turn and move materials in the library; ability to lift moderate weight up to 50 pounds in the handling of library materials; ability to push carts, bins and book trucks loaded with library materials weighing up to 100 pounds.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university required. A strong public service / customer service background is also preferred. This position requires the ability to clearly communicate, both orally and in writing. A copy of the applicant’s college transcript is required. Background check is also required. BENEFITS
38 hours biweekly, Grade 16, Step 1, $14.15 per hour . All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs.METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Job Links/Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/) for an application. Applicants must also submit a detailed resume, unofficial transcripts, and three references. Applications and other documents will be forwarded to Ms. Cynthia Brown at the Jefferson County Library Cooperative Administrative Office. Deadline for submissions is Wednesday, May 27, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.
Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Jefferson County Library Cooperative. Position available immediately.
Jefferson County Library Cooperative is an Equal Opportunity EmployerThis job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification