Current Openings - Job Detail
JOB BANK ENTRY
LIBRARY ASSISTANT II, Part Time-40 hours Bi-Weekly
LOCATION: West End
Opens: 9/9/14 Closes: 9/22/14 JOB SUMMARY
This is a position that requires knowledge of library practices and principles, attention to detail, sound judgment, strong communications skills and direct contact with the public. The Library Assistant II will perform various duties as assigned by the department head, branch manager, or designee. These duties will prioritize activities that enhance library services such as maintenance of the collection, programs, and circulation. The Library Assistant II must be comfortable with performing a variety of computer oriented and clerical assistance functions which require judgment based on knowledge of the procedures and policies pertaining to the area of assignment. Work involves some initiative and judgment on procedural questions that are encountered according to library board policies. Works under the general guidance and direction of the department head, branch manager, or designee. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Position reports to the department head, branch manager, or designee.
- Works with branches and municipal libraries throughout the Birmingham and Jefferson County systems updating library cards and applications, and addresses membership concerns according to board policies and procedures.
- Provides information to patrons in person and by phone about overdue materials and other matters related to patron records.
- Creates promotional materials and assists in the development and on-going tasks for programs.
- Inspects returned materials for damage, verifies due date, and computes and receives overdue fines.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service skills and ability to establish cordial and effective relationships with associates and patrons.
- Knowledge of and experience with computers and various computer software applications, peripherals, online databases, online searching, and the Internet.
- Knowledge of library procedures, business English, spelling and math.
- Ability to type at least 25 words per minute (wpm) along with ability to file and maintain records.
- Ability and willingness to give attention to detail and to ask questions when unsure.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability and willingness to adhere to departmental rules, regulations, procedures and functions.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with procedures and regulations, and to apply these to work situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and patrons.
- Ability to learn current trends in library service.
- Ability to set priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in dealing with patron records.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist, turn and move materials in the library; ability to lift moderate weight up to 50 pounds in the handling of library materials; ability to push carts, bins and book trucks loaded with library materials weighing up to 100 pounds. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
High school graduate or equivalent to graduation from high school, including or supplemented by course work in computer sciences or experience in computer or data entry operations. One year of work experience dealing with the public. Some college preferred. Background check is required. BENEFITS
40 hours biweekly, Grade 10, $10.66 per hour. All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs. METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/) for an application. The application will be forwarded to the Birmingham Public Library Personnel Officer. Library employees need not go through the Alabama Career Center but can submit applications directly to the Library Personnel Office. A resume and transcript must be submitted prior to the interview. Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Birmingham Public Library. Position available immediately. This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.