Current Openings - Job Detail
JOB BANK ENTRY
LIBRARY ASSISTANT III , PART TIME, 30 hours Bi-weekly
Opens: 9/9/2014 Closes: 9/22/2014 JOB SUMMARY
This position requires performance of paraprofessional duties according to the principles and practices of modern library systems and programs under the supervision of a branch or department head. Paraprofessional duties include providing services to library patrons, and assistance in directing the part-time non-professional staff and operations of one or more departments. May assist in supervising a department. Works under the general supervision of the branch or department manager. Regularly supervises part time staff. EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, ANDSKILLS
- Reports to branch or department head.
- Assists branch or department head in directing the staff and operations of assigned library or department(s) to accomplish service objectives in accordance with established policy.
- Assists supervision of a functional area of library operations such as the circulation desk at a library.
- Oversees branch or department in the absence of branch or department head.
- Plans, designs, prepares, and presents educational and promotional library programs.
- Assists patrons in the selection of library materials, and provides reference guidance.
- Performs paraprofessional classification, cataloging, collection and circulation duties.
- Answers telephone calls and provides information or otherwise assists or refers patrons as appropriate.
- Processes inter-library loans and in-house reference work.
- Maintains necessary operating records.
- Assists in maintaining library collections.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Knowledge and practice of good customer service skills and ability to establish cordial and effective relationships with associates and patrons.
- Knowledge of and experience with computers and various computer software applications, peripherals, online databases, online searching, and the Internet.
- Knowledge of basic office procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally an in writing.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
Physical requirements include the ability to stand for long periods of time; eyesight sufficient to read and understand information from microforms and PC monitors, and the manual dexterity necessary for the regular use of PCs; ability to stoop, twist, turn and move materials from place to place in the library. Ability to lift up to 20 pounds. MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Graduation from an accredited four year college or university required. Background check is required. BENEFITS
30 hours, Bi-weekly, Grade 16, Step 1-$14.29 per hour. All positions may include morning, afternoon, evening, and weekend hours, including Sundays. Employees may be required to adapt to future schedule and location changes depending on library needs. METHOD OF APPOINTMENT
Applicants must contact the Alabama Career Center (https://joblink.alabama.gov/ada/) for an application. The application will be forwarded to the Birmingham Public Library Personnel Officer. Library employees need not go through the Alabama Career Center but can submit applications directly to the Library Personnel Office. A resume and transcript must be submitted prior to the interview. Qualified applicants may be contacted for an interview. You must pass a pre-employment health screen before you may be employed by the Birmingham Public Library. Position available immediately. This job description should not be interpreted as all inclusive. It is intended to identify the major responsibilities and requirements of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related responsibilities and tasks other than those stated in this specification.