Ensley established the first free public library in Jefferson County, Alabama on
July 12, 1906 with more than 2,000 people attending the grand opening. In 1911,
the Ensley Library became a branch of the Birmingham Public Library.
On June 26, 1955, a new ultra-modern building was opened offering air
conditioning, a meeting room and a children's area. The design for this building
won first honor of the American Institute of Architects.
This library was closed in 2004 to bring it into ADA compliance, to upgrade the
HVAC system and for cosmetic remodeling. The library reopened October 9, 2005.
1201 25th St., Ensley
Birmingham, Alabama 35218-1944
- From I-59/20 take Ensley Avenue/20th Street exit (#120). *Follow exit ramp
- Turn left onto Ensley Avenue.
- Go to Pike Road and turn right.
- At first traffic light on Pike Road, turn right.
- Cross I-59.
- At foot of overpass, Library on left in Ensley Park.