The W.P.A. approved a grant of $127,858 for the construction of the Outpatient Clinic Building in 1937, and the county pledged an additional $99,338.
The five-story, red brick, Georgian structure, built at a cost of $300,00, was turned over to Jefferson County by W. G. Henderson, State Administrator for the W.P.A. in dedication ceremonies held on Sunday, November 19, 1939.
The Hillman Outpatient Clinic was demolished in 1964 to make way for the Psychiatric Unit.
-- from A History of the University of Alabama Hospitals by Jack D.L. Holmes, p. 37-38.